You’ve got 30 minutes to grab a quick swim workout…how can you get the most out of your time spent in the pool? Maximize yards or drill work?
Depending on where you are in your training, you may want to consider a format like this for your workouts when you are lacking time:
1. Warm Up: 5 minutes, mix in some bilateral breathing and focus on your technique
2. Drills: 8 minutes. Include some balance drills and hip rotation practice
3. Main Set: 10 minutes. A set of 100’s or 200’s
4. Stroke counting: 5 minutes. Either a straight swim where you count your strokes, or play some “Free Golf”
5. Warm Down: 3 minutes. Again practice bilateral breathing and executing perfect stroke technique.
You can get a lot done in the water in just a half an hour. Keep this general format in mind for those rushed days and you will be making much faster progress than actually missing your workout!