If you read my newsletter from last week, you know that I am not a fan of New Year’s nor resolutions. Instead, I prefer anti new year’s resolutions and creating lasting mini habits that are so small you immediately say to yourself “Wow! I can do those easily.”
While small, only tackle one at a time–TRUST ME. Once one has become innate, automatic, and routine (about 2 to 3 weeks), you add in another (or repeat the same one but increase the time by five minutes) so eventually you have transformed into a healthier and faster athlete with ingrained, long lasting habits. Notice that you are not giving anything up here. Rather you are adding in activities, foods, and behaviors that crowd out bad ones make you a better athlete.
- Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning (for an added health spike, put a bit of lemon juice into it)
- Write down your goals each morning
- Go to bed 5 minutes earlier
- Keep your cell phone/tablet/computer out of the bedroom
- Put your fork or food down after each bite or sip
- Chew your food 20 times each bite
- Drink one green smoothie per day
- Eat one salad a day
- Fill up half of your dinner plate with vegetables
- Stretch after each workout for 5 minutes
- Stretch for 5 minutes before bed each night
- Meditate for 5 minutes each morning
- Have a piece of fruit after dinner
- Walk for 5 minutes out of each hour while at work
- Take the stairs instead of elevators or escalators
- Write down 5 things you are grateful for at the end of each day
- Run, bike, or swim without your Garmin/HR strap/Suunto/gadget de jour for one of your workouts each week.
Have a great 2017!
Coach Chris and Kev